You are required to undertake the following:
- Read widely in the area of short story fiction.
- Through your broad reading and class work, aim to develop an informed understanding of the key elements of short story construction:
exposition (also known as ‘orientation')
point of view
- Create and present your own original short story for publication. Approximate length: 1000 words.
- When preparing and composing your short story, you are required to frame a clear and succinct Written Explanation which is written in succinct explanatory paragraphs. You must explain in detail the authorial choices you made, your choices of language and stylistic features, intended purposes, audiences, and a self-evaluation of the process undertaken. Approximate length: 150 – 200 words.
- The process to achieve a finished publishable story includes:
planning, drafting, editing and rewriting;
engaging in peer conference to help you develop and fine-tune your story.
Refer to the Key Steps page.
- For authentication purposes, planning, drafting and re-writing are mainly undertaken mainly in class time and developed throughout the term.
- One story from each class will be nominated for the MHS English Annual Short Story Competition.
- All nominated short stories will be published in the MHS Year 9 English Anthology of Short Stories.